How to apply to volunteer at the 2018 Latitude Festival
You can apply to volunteer at Latitude Festival using Hotbox Events PAAM
The Hotbox Events festival application opens in early February each year. You can find the application guidelines via the PAAM login page.
If you don't already have a PAAM account please sign-up - we'll send you a message via PAAM when the festival volunteer applications go live each year.
For more information about applying to volunteer with us at the Latitude Festival please read the volunteer information below.
Info about places remaining
The figures above are a live feed direct from the Hotbox Events PAAM volunteer application.
If the "places remaining" figure above is zero; you're able to apply via PAAM but not pay your deposit; this means we have filled all of the positions at the festival but we do expect to reopen to filled cancelled positions! If you can't apply then we do not expect to reopen again this year.
We usually reopen a festival to accept deposits once or twice each season to fill the openings created by cancellations. If you'd like to be the first to know when we reopen please apply via PAAM and we'll send you an email as soon as you can login and pay your deposit.
2018 Latitude Festival volunteering application deadlines
There isn't a specific deadline for Latitude Festival volunteer applications, we keep the application open until we fill all of the positions we have available at the festival.
The earlier you apply and pay your deposit the higher preference you will get when choosing your shifts so our advice is always apply and pay your deposit to secure your positions as early as you are able.
To apply to volunteer at the 2018 Latitude Festival you will need to
- Be 18 or over on the date of arrival.
- Be available to arrive at the Latitude Festival site in good time for your onsite briefing (no later than 3 hours before your briefing) on Wednesday 11th July 2018 (ESSID). You're welcome to arrive from midday on Tuesday 10th.
- Be available for a briefing at 19:00 Tuesday 11th or 19:00 Wednesday 11th (the briefing you need to attend is shift pattern dependent).
- Be available to work three 8 hour shifts at any time between 08:00 Wednesday 11th (or 01:00 Thursday if arriving for the later briefing) and 17:00 Monday 16th.
- Please note when the shift preferences are available in PAAM, if you chose one of the shift patterns which include a Wednesday shift and are confirmed for this, you will need to arrive on the Tuesday (from midday) to be booked in and have your onsite briefing at 19:00 on the Tuesday prior to your first shift on the Wednesday.
- Arrive at the Hotbox Events festival office one hour prior to your shift to be signed in and have your zone and/or position allocated; you will then need to allow between 5 and 20 minutes to make your way to your zone; and the same at the end of your shift to return to the Hotbox Events office to be signed out and return any equipment and uniform allocated to you. This time is outside of your allocated three 8 hour shifts in a similar way that travelling to and returning from your place of work or study is outside of paid work or classroom hours.
- Wear a festival tabard whilst working.
- Produce documents to prove your right to work / volunteer in the UK.
- Provide a refundable security deposit.
Borders and Immigration - proving your right to work and volunteer in the UK
To work and volunteer at a festival or event with Hotbox Events you must have the right to work and volunteer in the UK. Under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act of 2006 Hotbox Events is required by law to check your right to work and volunteer in the UK.
For further information please read the Borders and Immigration entry in the Hotbox Events FAQ.
Info about 2018 Latitude Festival volunteer shifts
- Each festival volunteer works three 8 hr shifts only (24 hrs in total throughout the festival).
- Shift patterns are allocated pre event but deployment to individual zones is organised at the beginning of each shift; at which point if you have a zone preference you can state it to your supervisor who will do their best to accommodate your request.
- Volunteers are required to meet for shift deployment one hour prior to shift start time to be allocated a position / zone for each shift. You will then need to allow between 15 and 20 mins to make your way to your zone; and the same at the end of your shift to return to the Hotbox Events office to be signed out and return any equipment and uniform allocated to you. This time is outside of your three 8 hour shifts in a similar way that travelling to and returning from your place of work or study is outside of paid work or classroom hours.
- The first festival volunteer shift starts at 09:00 on the Wednesday before the festival weekend.
- All festival volunteers are required to work at least one night shift.
- The final festival volunteer shift finishes at 17:00 on the Monday after the festival weekend.
- When off-shift all festival volunteers are free to enjoy the festival!
- The festival volunteer shift times are: Early: 09:00 > 17:00, Late: 17:00 > 01:00, Night: 01:00 > 09:00.
- You can apply to swap any shift you are allocated via your supervisor and we will try our best to accomodate your request.
- We try to be as fair to everyone as possible when allocating shifts - all festival volunteers have at least one of the main event afternoons or evenings off.
- Please head to our FAQ for more info about how volunteer shifts are organised
Volunteering as a steward at the 2018 Latitude Festival can include
- Assisting festival goers with directions.
- Helping festival goers carry their belongings and pitch their tents.
- Answering questions about performances and line-ups.
- Reporting any problems e.g. a build-up of litter or faulty facilities.
- Working with Fire Safety, Medical and Security teams.
- Keeping an eye on the campsites from the fire towers.
- Helping out with various roles across the festival site e.g. pedestrian and vehicle gates, wristband exchanges, keeping an eye on facilities, monitoring stages and walkways.
All 2018 Latitude Festival volunteers are provided with
- A Crew Pass when you arrive at the festival.
- An Info Pack prior to arrival at the festival - this pack thoroughly details the festival stewarding role and responsibilities and provides information about the festival and the festival site.
- Thorough on-site briefings.
- A festival uniform (tabard).
- Access to the crew café, toilets and showers!
- Camping facilities in a secure crew area.
- Time to enjoy the festival - apart from your 3 x 8 hour shifts you get to enjoy the entire festival for free!
- Work experience in the event industry and an opportunity to learn new skills which looks great on your CV!
- Volunteering can progress into paid staff opportunities with us or other organisations at future events.
Paying your 2018 Latitude Festival deposit
You need to pay a deposit to secure your place but you get this back at the end of the summer and one deposit covers you for as many festivals as you would like to work!
For further details about deposits please head to the Deposits, tickets and wages section of our FAQ.
Join the Hotbox Events Newsletter
If you haven't already please subscribe to the Hotbox Events newsletter!
This way we can let you know when the volunteering applications open each year, let you know when to expect your info pack and keep you updated with last minute festival changes.
Join the Hotbox Events community
More questions about volunteering at the 2018 Latitude Festival?
Please try our FAQ as most of the questions we're usually asked are answered in there!
How to Contact Us
You can contact us here.
Edd (Economics Student, University of East Anglia)
I had an amazing time working with Hotbox this year! I worked at Latitude Festival as a pixie in the woods, I went on my own but met so many awesome people over the weekend, I loved every second helping the general public during the day and seeing incredible bands at night! I really can't wait to do it all again next year but hopefully this time as a supervisor!