How to apply to volunteer at Camp Bestival
You can apply now to volunteer at Camp Bestival using our online volunteer application!
Watch interviews with Hotbox festival volunteers
If you've not volunteered at Camp Bestival before and would like to see what it's like volunteering at festivals with us before applying - make sure you checkout our festival volunteer interviews!
In the festival volunteer interviews you'll get to hear from volunteers who have joined us talking about how they found their shifts, how they were treated by the Hotbox Events team, what it was like volunteering for the first time on their own, taking on more responsibility year on year and progressing from a festival volunteer to staff role, and even how the experience and confidence gained has helped with their career progression away from music festivals!
Camp Bestival 2020 volunteer application deadline
There isn't a specific deadline for Camp Bestival volunteer applications, we keep the application open until all of the volunteer positions available at Camp Bestival have gone!
We confirm positions within 24 hours of a deposit being paid, often within the hour, so if you apply and pay your deposit now, you'll receive a confirmation that you have a place volunteering at Camp Bestival today!
Why there is a refundable deposit to volunteer at Camp Bestival
The refundable deposit is your way of showing commitment to volunteering at Camp Bestival.
You only need to pay 1 deposit a year to volunteer at as many festivals as you like!
Your deposit is returned to you within 30 days of the festival.
For more info about deposits please head to the deposits section of our FAQs!
How much is the Camp Bestival refundable volunteer deposit?
If this is your first time volunteering with us at a festival the refundable volunteer deposit is £145.
If you've volunteered at a festival with us before the refundable volunteer deposit is discounted by 35% to £95.
There are no admin fees charged on deposits, so you receive your entire deposit back as long as you complete all of your shifts!
What you'll do when volunteering at Camp Bestival
Our Camp Bestival volunteers will be found across the festival site assisting with a wide variety of areas! It'd be tricky to list everything we get up to but some of the most common roles include the below.
- Assisting Camp Bestival goers with directions.
- Helping Camp Bestival goers carry their belongings and pitch their tents.
- Answering questions about Camp Bestival performances and line-ups.
- Reporting any problems such as a build-up of litter or faulty facilities.
- Work alongside Camp Bestival Fire Safety, Medical and Security teams.
- Keeping an eye on the Camp Bestival campsites from the fire towers.
- Helping out with various roles across the Camp Bestival site including pedestrian and vehicle gates, wristband exchanges, keeping an eye on facilities, monitoring stages and walkways.
The things we provide our volunteers with at Camp Bestival
When you volunteer with Hotbox Events at Camp Bestival we'll make sure you have all you need to complete your volunteer shifts and have a safe and enjoyable week with us!
The below are the bits we always provide, and once you're onsite we're always on-hand should you need something else!
- We send a volunteer info pack a few weeks before Camp Bestival which thoroughly details the festival volunteer role, responsibilities, and provides information about the festival and the festival site.
- Secure Camp Bestival volunteer parking walking distance (often next to) your own private campsite!
- A private and secure Camp Bestival volunteer camping area within the main festival crew area. In here you'll also find the Hotbox festival office so we're always close-by if you need anything!
- A Camp Bestival volunteer marquee with chairs, tables, charging points, hot water, free tea, coffee, and biscuits!
- Access to Camp Bestival crew toilets and hot showers!
- Dedicated and discounted Camp Bestival volunteer catering right inside your volunteer campsite offering some of the tastiest festival meals you're ever likely to find!
- A Camp Bestival crew pass when you arrive at the festival which allows you to move about onsite.
- A thorough onsite briefing from us and other Camp Bestival teams where you can also ask any questions you have.
- At the beginning of each shift all the bits you'll need including a Camp Bestival tabard, a radio if the position requires one, and any PPE.
The bits you need to check when applying to volunteer at Camp Bestival
There are a few bits below you'll need to make sure of when applying to volunteer at Camp Bestival.
- Be 18 or over on the date you need to arrive at Camp Bestival.
- Be available to arrive at the Camp Bestival site in good time for your onsite briefing (no later than 5 hours before your briefing) on Wednesday 29th July 2020 (Event Sign-in Date). You're welcome to arrive at Camp Bestival from 10am on Wednesday 29th.
- Be available for a briefing at Camp Bestival at 19:00 on Wednesday 29th or 19:00 on Thursday 30th (the briefing you need to attend is shift pattern dependent). Please note when the shift preferences are available, if you chose one of the shift patterns which include a Thursday shift and are confirmed for this, you will need to arrive on the Wednesday to be booked in and have your onsite briefing at 19:00 on the Wednesday prior to your first shift on the Thursday.
- Be available to volunteer for two 8 hour shifts at any time between 08:00 Thursday 30th and 16:00 Monday 3rd.
- Arrive at the Hotbox Events festival office one hour prior to your shift to be signed in and have your zone and/or position allocated; you will then need to allow between 5 and 20 minutes to make your way to your zone. This time is outside of your allocated two 8 hour shifts in a similar way that travelling to your place of work or study is outside of paid work or classroom hours.
- Wear a Camp Bestival tabard when completing your volunteer shifts.
- Produce documents to prove your right to work and volunteer in the UK.
- Provide a refundable security deposit.
Proving your right to work and volunteer in the UK
To work or volunteer at Camp Bestival with Hotbox Events you must have the right to work and volunteer in the UK. Under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act of 2006 Hotbox Events is required by law to check your right to work and volunteer in the UK.
For further information please read the Borders and Immigration section in our festival FAQs.
How Camp Bestival volunteer shifts are planned
We work very hard to make sure everyone who volunteers with us at Camp Bestival has an amazing experience and this of course includes your volunteering shift pattern!
Camp Bestival volunteer shifts are chosen by way of volunteer shift preferences that you can select. We open volunteer shift selection a few weeks before Camp Bestival and let you know when you can login to choose your shift preferences via email, our news, and socials. There are usually between 20-30 volunteer shift patterns to choose between and we make sure everyone gets the highest shift preference possible!
You can find more information about Camp Bestival volunteer shifts below but if you have any questions please don't hesitate to get in touch!
- When you volunteer at Camp Bestival you'll complete two eight hour shifts, so a total of sixteen hours volunteering throughout the course of the festival.
- Shift patterns are allocated before Camp Bestival, then individual positions at the beginning of each shift. If you have a preference when it comes to location your supervisor will do their best to accommodate your request.
- You'll need to arrive at the Hotbox Events festival office one hour prior to your shift to be signed in and have your position allocated. You'll then need to allow between 15 and 20 mins to make your way to your position, and the same at the end of your shift to return to the Hotbox Events office to be signed out, return your tabard, and any equipment allocated to you. This time is outside of your two 8 hour shifts in a similar way that travelling to and returning from your place of work or study is outside of paid work or classroom hours.
- The first Camp Bestival volunteer shift starts at 08:00 on the Thursday before the festival weekend.
- There are no night shifts at Camp Bestival.
- The final Camp Bestival volunteer shift finishes at 16:00 on the Monday after the festival weekend.
- Our standard Camp Bestival volunteer shift times are Early 08:00 to 16:00 and Late 16:00 to 00:00.
- You can ask to swap any shift you are allocated with your Camp Bestival supervisor who will do their best to accommodate your request.
- We try to be as fair as possible when allocating shifts, everyone volunteering with us at Camp Bestival gets at least two of the main festival afternoons or evenings off.
- If you'd like to find out more about how Camp Bestival volunteer shifts are planned please head to the festival volunteer shifts section of our FAQs!
How to join the volunteer newsletter
If you haven't already please subscribe to our newsletter!
This way we can let you know when the volunteer applications open each year and keep you up to date with new music festival volunteering opportunities!
We generally just send one newsletter a month.
Getting involved with the volunteer community
If you'd like to hear and see more from those who have volunteered with us in the past please head to our festival community!
On our festival community pages you can get an idea of what it's like to volunteer at with Hotbox Events by browsing our festival photo galleries, hear from volunteers who have joined us by watching some volunteer interviews, chat with returning and new volunteers in our festival forum, and read feedback from volunteers who have joined on our volunteer feedback page!
Questions about volunteering at Camp Bestival?
Try our FAQ as lots of questions are answered in there!
Contact us to chat about volunteering at Camp Bestival
If you'd like to know more or would just like to have a chat about volunteering at Camp Bestival with us you can email or call
Or get in touch via one of our socials linked at the bottom of the page 🙂
Aimee (Marketing Customer Support Executive for MBNA Chester)
Being a CAT at Leeds Festival 2008 was amazing! It was so much fun, I met some of the most amazing and crazy people both staff and punters! The shifts were good too, I got to meet loads of people and see loads of the bands too. I would defiantly get soaked through and muddy all over again as a CAT in 2009!!!!!