Hotbox Events Terms and Conditions
Unless expressly stated otherwise the following definitions shall apply to the terms used in these terms and conditions:
(1) Hotbox Events is a trading name of Hotbox Studios Ltd whose principal place of business is at Unit 1, Middle Yard, Home Farm Road, Elvetham, Hook, Hampshire, RG27 8AW, United Kingdom. Registered Office: Hotbox Studios Ltd T/A Hotbox Events, c/o Ascot Drummond, Devonshire House, Manor way, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1QQ, United Kingdom. Registered in England & Wales, Cardiff 25 February 2003. Company No. 4677263 (hereinafter referred to as "HOTBOX").
(2) Applications are processed online via the Hotbox Events instance of the PAAM Event Software (hereinafter referred to as "HBE PAAM").
(3) When working with HOTBOX all volunteers and employees must sign-in at the HOTBOX onsite office by the Event Specific Sign-In time and Date as specified by the festival and event specific ‘about‘ pages on the Hotbox Events website e.g. www.hotboxevents.com/about/latitude/. The event specific sign-in time and date hereinafter referred to as "ESSID".
(4) Following application via HBE PAAM and after paying a deposit; if you are allocated a position via HBE PAAM you wish to cancel you must cancel the position both in writing (post and/or email) and by cancelling the position via the cancel function within your HBE PAAM account (hereinafter referred to as "CANCEL" "CANCELLED"; "CANCELLATION"; "CANCELLING").
If you have any queries regarding the HOTBOX Terms and Conditions you are advised to contact HOTBOX in writing before submitting your application and paying your deposit.
By completing and submitting an application you are agreeing to abide by the HOTBOX:
- Terms and Conditions;
- Code of Conduct;
- Code of Practice;
- Policies and Procedures;
- Client Rules and Regulations.
By completing and submitting an application you are agreeing to the submission of your email address to the HOTBOX newsletter and HBE PAAM account notifications database.
By completing and submitting an application you are agreeing that any photographs; video; sound recordings taken of you or by you may be used by HOTBOX and the clients of HOTBOX for any promotional purposes.
By completing and submitting an application you are agreeing that for the safety of the general public prior to arrival onsite your personal details may be passed to the police to allow for a Police National Computer (PNC) check and/or Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check to be performed.
By completing and submitting an application you are agreeing that if your performance is deemed less than satisfactory by HOTBOX; you will be blacklisted thus unable to apply for further positions with HOTBOX and that this information will be passed to the festival organiser and via the festival organiser to their suppliers, contractors and other festival and event organisers.
When working as an employee of HOTBOX you are working under a fixed term employment contract. The specifics of positions with HOTBOX vary dependent on the event and role. The initial briefing and training sessions at each event form part of your employment contract, as does your agreement to work with HOTBOX for the duration of the event. Any failure on the employee‘s part to meet with their terms of employment; the HOTBOX Terms and Conditions; the HOTBOX Code of Conduct; the HOTBOX Code of Practice; the HOTBOX Policies and Procedures; HOTBOX Client‘s Rules and Regulations; will result in forfeit of any remuneration and deposit paid; the requirement to pay any costs to HOTBOX that may have been incurred; the employee being blacklisted.
Borders and Immigration - proving your right to work and volunteer in the UK
To undertake unpaid voluntary work, as well as paid work in the UK, you have to have the right to work either through your citizenship or a work visa. Under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act of 2006 Hotbox Events is required to check your right to work before we can allow you to start working on the festival site.
This means that before you can start working with us, you will need to produce documentation to prove you have this right. If you do not produce this documentation, we cannot let you work or volunteer with us. The list of valid proof of right to work is produced by the UK Border Agency not by Hotbox Events and these are the ONLY documents that will be accepted by Hotbox Events. We need to see the original documents which means you need to bring them to the festival or event site. We also need to hold a copy of the documents.
If you hold either a UK or European Economic Area/Swiss passport or a non UK/EEA passport with a valid visa showing your right to work/volunteer in the UK this is acceptable proof.
If you do not have a passport, we can accept a long birth certificate AND either your National Insurance card or an official document from a previous employer with your NI number clearly shown.
A UK Driving Licence IS NOT valid as proof even in combination with a birth certificate or NI card.
We are required by law to store a scanned copy of your documents for at least two years after you have finished working or volunteering with us. We will keep your documents securely on encrypted disks, stored in a secure safe and on the highly secure PAAM servers. We will not share your documents with any third parties other than UK Borders and we will destroy them in an appropriate manner after the two years is up.
For more information please see the documents available via the link below:
The most useful is the summary guidance for employers December 2010 which includes the full list of valid documents.
Paying a deposit does not guarantee your position at an event; applications are assessed and positions allocated after a deposit has been paid.
Your deposit will be withheld and you will be blacklisted if you:
- Do not complete any shift allocated to you;
- Lose any uniform and/or equipment allocated to you*;
- Miss your onsite briefing/s;
- Do not sign in onsite by the ESSID and do not CANCEL at least 20 calendar days** prior to the ESSID.
- Do not produce documents to prove your right to work and/or volunteer in the UK as detailed within the Borders and Immigration section of the Terms and Conditions.
- Breach the HOTBOX Terms & Conditions;
- Breach the HOTBOX Policies & Procedures;
- Breach the HOTBOX Code of Conduct;
- Breach the HOTBOX Code of Practice;
- Breach any HOTBOX Client Rules and Regulations.
*For uniform and equipment losses and/or damage HOTBOX may only withhold part of your deposit; dependant on the value of the uniform/equipment lost/damaged.
**For example 20 calendar days prior to 16:00 on Wednesday the 21st August would be 16:00 on Thursday the 1st August.
If you are blacklisted by HOTBOX you have the right to appeal; any appeal should be made in writing to HOTBOX.
If you apply to work at an event within the 20 day CANCELLATION period e.g. where the ESSID for the event is less than 20 days away; you forfeit your right to CANCEL. If you apply to work at an event where the ESSID is less than 20 days away then either CANCEL or do not CANCEL and do not sign in onsite by the ESSID; your deposit will be withheld and you will be blacklisted.
Deposits are returned in the second half of October each year via a cheque in the post made payable to the account holder from which the deposit was originally received and posted to the address within your HBE PAAM account at the time of return.
HOTBOX takes no responsibility for any delay in returning deposits caused by postal services or an incorrect address in HBE PAAM.
When returning deposits paid to Hotbox Events in GBP via WorldPay; the return will be less any credit/debit card fees rounded up to the nearest GBP. Credit cards fees (ex AMEX) are 2.55% + £0.12; AMEX credit card fees are 3.35% + £0.12; debit card fees are 2.55%. When returning deposits paid to Hotbox Events in any currency other than GBP; the return will be less any credit/debit card fees plus any international transaction and/or currency conversion fees rounded up to the nearest GBP.
If you do not gain a position due to failing a PNC and/or CRB check your deposit will be returned in October.
If you pay a deposit and CANCEL all applications and positions between 20 and 55 calendar days prior to the ESSID of the first event applied to; your deposit will be returned in October.
If you pay a deposit and CANCEL all applications and positions 56 or more calendar days prior to the ESSID of the first event applied to; subject to a £20.00 GBP administration fee you will be eligible for an early deposit return. Early deposit returns are processed on a monthly basis and need to be requested in writing (post and/or email).
If you require a duplicate cheque to be sent due to not keeping your postal address up-to-date in HBE PAAM; losing a cheque; not cashing a cheque; allowing a cheque to expire; this will be subject to an additional £12.50 GBP administration fee.
If you apply to work at more than one event; complete your shifts at one or more events; then CANCEL your positions at all future events at least 20 calendar days prior to the ESSID of each event applied to; your deposit will be returned in October.
If you apply to work at more than one event; complete your shifts at one or more events; then CANCEL your position/s at one or more future events less than 20 calendar days prior to the ESSID of each event applied to; your deposit will be withheld and you will be blacklisted.
E.g. if you apply to work at two events, complete your shifts at the first event, then CANCEL the second event less than 20 calendar days prior to the event‘s ESSID, your deposit will be withheld and you will be blacklisted.
If you apply to work at more than one event and do not sign in onsite for the first event by the ESSID and do not CANCEL at least 20 calendar days prior to the first event‘s ESSID; your deposit will be withheld and you will be blacklisted.
You cannot move an application or position between events.
Employment Rights Act
The following information is a statement of the Terms and Conditions of employment under the employment rights act 1996.
- You are required to carry out your roles and responsibilities as detailed in the job description and position specification.
- Any previous employment with HOTBOX or any other employer does not form part of a period of continuous employment. Each position is subject to a separate contract of service.
- Your place of work will be the address of the event and is where you are required to work. Details will be given to you on CONFIRMATION of position.
- Your employers address is the HOTBOX principal place of business.
- You will be paid on the basis of an agreed rate per hour, shift, or event. This rate will be agreed with you at the CONFIRMATION of each position.
- There are no enhancements to stated rates for Weekends or Public Holidays.
- Staff are responsible for their own travel and accommodation expenses.
- Provision of meals or allowances are not negotiable and are paid under the discretion of the company directors.
- Your remuneration will be paid to you as agreed at the CONFIRMATION of a position. Payments are made in GBP using one of the following methods:
- BACS to an account of the named individual member of staff;
- Cheque made payable to the named individual member of staff.
An invoice or PAYE form and relevant tax form, expenses claim form and post event report must be received by HOTBOX prior to any wages and/or expenses being paid. A personal invoice will not be paid by HOTBOX unless a current Unique Tax Reference (UTR) is included on the invoice.
Hours of work
The hours of work are detailed in the event contract for each position.
Your employment is for a fixed period linked to each position.
The HOTBOX working week commences on Sunday.
Volunteer shifts are 8 hours long (including breaks); employee shifts are 8 to 12 hours long (including breaks) dependant on position and event; the time it takes you to sign-in and travel to and from your place of work is additional to your 8 hour shift.
Entitlement for holiday only applies to individuals who have been agreed an employment contract longer than 13 weeks.
In the case of incapacity for work you will forfeit any offer of employment; any allocated positions at current or future events; and receive no remuneration. This is due to the nature of the positions being for a fixed period.
HOTBOX does not operate any pension schemes to employees contracted for a fixed period.
Your employment contract is for a fixed term and expires at the end of each position.
Your employment and CONFIRMATION of position are temporary and may be withdrawn at any time due to any of the following reasons:
- HOTBOX does not gain a contract of services at named event;
- The named event does not take place or is cancelled;
- You are in breach of the HOTBOX Terms & Conditions; HOTBOX Code of Conduct; HOTBOX Policies and Procedures; HOTBOX Client Rules and Regulations.
If you are dissatisfied with any disciplinary decision you should apply in the first instance to an Event Manager. You should make your application by speaking to the Event Manager who will document your conversation.
If you have a grievance about your employment you should apply in the first instance to a Site Manager. You should make your application in writing to the HOTBOX principal place of business.
Working on and access to sites
All HOTBOX staff and volunteers must camp within the crew area specified by the event‘s Event Manager.
All HOTBOX staff and volunteers will be issued with an appropriate pass by the client of whom HOTBOX is providing a service. This pass will enable the wearer to access those areas relevant to the position and responsibilities allocated. When off-shift and where authorised by a License Holder this pass may be used to access and participate in the event‘s public activities under the Terms and Conditions of the License. Any pass allocated will remain the property of the License Holder at all times.
Any pass is a functional tool HOTBOX staff and volunteers require to carry out their duties. Breaching any License Holders Terms & Conditions; Policies and Procedures; Code of Conduct; Rules and Regulations will also be a breach of your employment Terms and Conditions with HOTBOX.