How to apply to volunteer
You can apply now to volunteer at Leeds Festival using our online volunteer application!
If there is anything you would like to ask or you would just like to chat with us about volunteering at Leeds Festival, the easiest way is to...
Connecting with other volunteers
On Facebook and in our Forum you will find new and returning volunteers chatting about what it is like to volunteer at Leeds Festival, arranging to share lifts to Leeds, asking and answering questions about volunteering at Leeds Festival and more...
Watch Leeds Festival interviews
If you've not volunteered at Leeds Festival before and would like to see what it's like volunteering at Leeds before applying - make sure you checkout our Leeds Festival volunteer interviews!
In the Leeds Festival volunteer interviews you'll get to hear from Leeds Festival volunteers who have joined us talking about how they found their shifts, how they were treated by the Hotbox Events team at Leeds, what it was like volunteering at Leeds Festival for the first time on their own, taking on more responsibility year on year and progressing from a festival volunteer to staff role, and even how the experience and confidence gained at Leeds Festival has helped with their career progression away from music festivals!
Photos of Leeds Festival volunteers
Another way to see what volunteering at Leeds Festival is like is to check out some of our Leeds Festival photos!
In our Leeds Festival photo galleries, you will find thousands of photos covering our festival volunteering history over the past twenty years!
Going Solo to Leeds Festival
If you are thinking about volunteering at Leeds Festival but not sure about going solo you do not need to worry, every year more than half of those who volunteer with us at Leeds Festival do so on their own the first time and then return year on year to meet up with friends they have made whilst volunteering!
Questions about volunteering at Leeds Festival
If you have specific questions about volunteering at Leeds Festival try our festival FAQs!
Our festival FAQs are regularly updated and packed full of answers to the questions we are usually asked, plus lots of handy hints and tips about volunteering at Leeds Festival.
We usually send an email newsletter about once a month, if you would like to keep up to date you can subscribe!
Leeds Festival 2021 application deadline
There isn't a specific deadline for Leeds Festival volunteer applications, we keep the application open until all of the volunteer positions available at Leeds Festival have gone!
We confirm positions within 24 hours of a deposit being paid, often within the hour, so if you apply and pay your deposit now, you'll receive a confirmation that you have a place volunteering at Leeds Festival today!
Why there is a refundable deposit to volunteer
The refundable deposit is your way of showing commitment to volunteering at Leeds Festival.
You only need to pay 1 deposit a year to volunteer at as many festivals as you like!
Your deposit is returned to you within 30 days of the festival.
For more info about deposits please head to the deposits section of our FAQs!
How much is the refundable deposit
If this is your first time volunteering with us at a festival the refundable volunteer deposit is £145.
If you've volunteered at a festival with us before the refundable volunteer deposit is discounted by 35% to £95.
There are no admin fees charged on deposits, so you receive your entire deposit back as long as you complete all of your shifts!
What you'll do when volunteering at Leeds
Our Leeds Festival volunteers can be found across the festival site assisting with a wide variety of areas! It'd be tricky to list everything we get up to but some of the most common roles include the below.
- Assisting Leeds Festival goers with directions.
- Helping Leeds Festival goers carry their belongings and pitch their tents.
- Answering questions about Leeds Festival performances and line-ups.
- Reporting any problems such as a build-up of litter or faulty facilities.
- Work alongside Leeds Festival Fire Safety, Medical and Security teams.
- Keeping an eye on the Leeds Festival campsites from the fire towers.
- Helping out with various roles across the Leeds Festival site including pedestrian and vehicle gates, wristband exchanges, keeping an eye on facilities, monitoring stages and walkways.
The things we provide at Leeds Festival
When you volunteer with Hotbox Events at Leeds Festival we make sure you have all you need to complete your volunteer shifts and have a safe and enjoyable week with us!
The below are the bits we always provide at Leeds Festival, and once you're onsite we're always on-hand should you need something else!
- We send a volunteer info pack a few weeks before Leeds Festival which thoroughly details the festival volunteer role, responsibilities, and provides information about the festival and the festival site.
- Secure Leeds Festival volunteer parking walking distance (often next to) your own private campsite!
- A private and secure Leeds Festival volunteer camping area within the main festival crew area. In here you'll also find the Hotbox festival office so we're always close-by if you need anything!
- A Leeds Festival volunteer marquee with chairs, tables, charging points, hot water, free tea, coffee, and biscuits!
- Access to Leeds Festival crew toilets and hot showers!
- Dedicated and discounted Leeds Festival volunteer catering right inside your volunteer campsite offering some of the tastiest festival meals you're ever likely to find!
- A Leeds Festival crew pass when you arrive at the festival which allows you to move about onsite.
- A thorough onsite briefing from us and other Leeds Festival teams where you can also ask any questions you have.
- At the beginning of each shift all the bits you'll need including a Leeds Festival tabard, a radio if the position requires one, and any PPE.
The bits you need to check when applying to volunteer
There are a few bits below you'll need to make sure of when applying to volunteer at Leeds Festival.
- Be 18 or over on the date you need to arrive at Leeds Festival.
- Be available to arrive at the Leeds Festival site in good time for your onsite briefing (no later than 5 hours before your briefing) on Wednesday 25th August 2021 (Event Sign-in Date). You're welcome to arrive at Leeds Festival from midday on Tuesday 24th.
- Be available for a briefing at Leeds Festival at 19:00 on Tuesday 24th or 19:00 on Wednesday 25th (the briefing you need to attend is shift pattern dependent). Please note when the shift preferences are available, if you chose one of the shift patterns which include a Wednesday shift and are confirmed for this, you will need to arrive on the Tuesday (from midday) to be booked in and have your onsite briefing at 19:00 on the Tuesday prior to your first shift on the Wednesday.
- Be available to volunteer for three 8 hour shifts at any time between 09:00 Wednesday 25th (or 01:00 Thursday if arriving for the later briefing) and 17:00 Monday 30th.
- Arrive at the Hotbox Events festival office one hour prior to your shift to be signed in and have your zone and/or position allocated; you will then need to allow between 5 and 20 minutes to make your way to your zone. This time is outside of your allocated three 8 hour shifts in a similar way that travelling to your place of work or study is outside of paid work or classroom hours.
- Wear a Leeds Festival tabard when completing your volunteer shifts.
- Produce documents to prove your right to work and volunteer in the UK.
- Provide a refundable security deposit.
Proving your right to work and volunteer in the UK
To work or volunteer at Leeds Festival with Hotbox Events you must have the right to work and volunteer in the UK. Under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act of 2006 Hotbox Events is required by law to check your right to work and volunteer in the UK.
For further information please read the Borders and Immigration section in our festival FAQs.
How Leeds Festival volunteer shifts are planned
We work very hard to make sure everyone who volunteers with us at Leeds Festival has an amazing experience and this of course includes your volunteering shift pattern!
Leeds volunteer shifts are chosen by way of volunteer shift preferences that you can select. We open volunteer shift selection a few weeks before Leeds Festival and let you know when you can login to choose your shift preferences via email, our news, and socials. There are usually between 20-30 volunteer shift patterns to choose between and we make sure everyone gets the highest shift preference possible!
You can find more information about Leeds Festival volunteer shifts below but if you have any questions please don't hesitate to get in touch!
- When you volunteer at Leeds Festival you'll complete three eight hour shifts, so a total of twenty four hours volunteering throughout the course of the festival.
- Shift patterns are allocated before Leeds Festival, then individual positions at the beginning of each shift. If you have a preference when it comes to location your supervisor will do their best to accommodate your request.
- You'll need to arrive at the Hotbox Events festival office one hour prior to your shift to be signed in and have your position allocated. You'll then need to allow between 15 and 20 mins to make your way to your position, and the same at the end of your shift to return to the Hotbox Events office to be signed out, return your tabard, and any equipment allocated to you. This time is outside of your three 8 hour shifts in a similar way that travelling to and returning from your place of work or study is outside of paid work or classroom hours.
- The first Leeds Festival volunteer shift starts at 09:00 on the Wednesday before the festival weekend.
- Everyone volunteering with us at Leeds Festival is required to work one night shift.
- The final Leeds Festival volunteer shift finishes at 17:00 on the Monday after the festival weekend.
- Our standard Leeds Festival volunteer shift times are Early 09:00 to 17:00, Late 17:00 to 01:00, Night 01:00 to 09:00.
- You can ask to swap any shift you are allocated with your Leeds Festival supervisor who will do their best to accommodate your request.
- We try to be as fair as possible when allocating shifts, everyone volunteering with us at Leeds Festival gets at least two of the main festival afternoons or evenings off.
- If you'd like to find out more about how Leeds Festival volunteer shifts are planned please head to the festival volunteer shifts section of our FAQs!
The festival volunteering community
If you'd like to hear and see more from those who have volunteered at Leeds Festival with us in the past please head to our festival community!
On our festival community pages you can get an idea of what it's like to volunteer at Leeds Festival with Hotbox Events by browsing our Leeds Festival photo galleries, hear from volunteers who have joined us by watching some Leeds Festival volunteer interviews, chat with returning and new volunteers in our festival forum, and read feedback from volunteers who have joined on our volunteer feedback page!
Questions about volunteering at Leeds Festival
Try our FAQ as lots of questions are answered in there!
If you would like to drop us an email its firstname.lastname@example.org
You can reach our office by phone on the numbers below...
Tel: 01252849600 (UK) select option 2 for Hotbox Events
Tel: +441252849600 (International) select option 2 for Hotbox Events
2014 was my first experience of a big music festival, and I'm so glad I chose to give my time as a volunteer. I met friends that I keep in regular contact with, and had loads of fun both on and off shift; the work is social and interesting (I even got picked to go up the fire towers on my first shift!).
I enjoyed it so much I went back to Leeds Festival to be a volunteer in 2015 and I'll be back again next year!