Latitude 2015

• 3.2K Views
  • Last Post 03 June 2015
NRJames posted this 03 June 2015

The Volunteer Briefing is a mere 40 days away so I thought it time to start a topic devoted to Latitude 2015!

Introduce yourself! Post your questions! Tell us which acts your are looking forward to seeing! Make new friends!

Need a lift or want to offer someone a lift? Check out the dedicated lift-sharing thread

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
MadCyril posted this 08 June 2015

I've posed up something on the volunteering alone page but since it's Latitude i'm going to this makes sense.

Without wanting to start off like an AA meeting, i'm Andy from Aberdeen, up in the North East of Scotland, and i will know nobody, and this is my first time as a volunteer at a festival, although i have been a vollie before (2 weeks at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow last summer).

I've had a few funny looks from folk when i've said i am travelling so far to work at a festival but i've done it before many times as a punter. TBH i cann bloody wait!

Anyway, i'm looking forward to meeting you people - whoever you may be :)

Alex the Bearded Ginge posted this 10 June 2015

Seeing as I've just bumped the Lat 2014 thread above this one (in trying to be a helpful forum member pointing someone in the right direction), I'd better post in here to bump this above that! By the way, James, in that thread I see you'd posted that last year was your first and another solo effort.

Already chatted to you two in the other threads but I must say Andy from Aberdeen doesn't stick in my head as easily as Mad Cyril so forgive me if I continue to call you Cyril once on site! That's why I chose a descriptive name as people are gonna notice/remember/identify the ginger beard before/more easily than remembering my name!

Like Cyril, I'm getting rather excited about this and there's still five whole weeks for the anticipation to slowly but surely creep up and up...![:D]

MadCyril posted this 10 June 2015

I think i could handle that mate - you aren't the first and you won't be the last to simply refer to me as Cyril lol.

Since i've paid for my flights and train i just with these next 5 weeks would get a shift on!

My eta should about 7.30-8.00pm so plenty of time for a beer after my tent goes up obvs :)

Alex the Bearded Ginge posted this 11 June 2015

Recently I've made sure I'm tuning in to 6 Music regularly so as to catch any of the bands & artists I'm less familiar with that are in the line-up. I had it on whilst doing some gardening this afternoon for instance. Are there any of the less obvious acts you've got your eye on/you've heard good things about/you're a new fan of...?

ps. Post tent-up beer is a given![8D]

MadCyril posted this 11 June 2015

I have to admit mate i haven't a clue. I've been meaning to listen to 6 music more often but i was just gonna create a spotify playlist and start adding stuff in there. Most of the bands i've never heard of but a guy was telling me very forcably that i have to see Catfish and the Bottlemen. I fancy checking out Drenge too but the only one i really know are the Charlatans (cos that's my era). The main stuff i wanna see is Jose Gonzales, Manics, Noel, and funnily enough Portishead. I've never seen them live, i don't know much about them other than Dummy (yes i am one of those), but they jumped out at me from the line up. If i get to see those 4 main acts i'd be happy. All the other stages are great for just finding stuff, chilling with a beer, enjoying the atmosphere....

What about yourself?

Alex the Bearded Ginge posted this 12 June 2015

Yeah I was a 90s teenager, hence why I'm a huge [P] fan. First heard Mysterons used on some spooky review programme of weird events from the previous year, back in Jan 1995. Found out who the track was by and got hold of Dummy (Mysterons being the opening track which confirmed I'd written down the right name from the credits). Hooked ever since. Peerless musicianship. Purest performers too; there'll be no flashy showmanship or rote crowd participation routines. It'll be awesome sound performed by a group of artists who know how to express their emotions through the sounds they create. You'll be amazed at how much power comes out of such a tiny little woman when she (Beth) really gets going too; fragile and emotionally wrought yet sharp and direct. Geoff is a production genius with a penchant for dark hip-hop & experimental Kraut rock and Adrian is a fine guitarist with a distinct style (beyond the 60s spy noir jangles of Sour Times & Glory Box). Not sure how a non-partisan festival crowd will take to them (as headliners) though, as I've only ever seen them at their own gigs or festivals they've curated. For many years, including the first two albums, live album and loooong hiatus I never saw them live and never thought I'd get the chance. But then the third album finally surfaced and this will (hopefully) be the 6th time I've seen them. You'll have to get somewhere near the front with me for them then, shifts permitting of course...[8D]

As I said, they are the chief reason I pushed myself to turn 'must do Lat one year' into actually going, so all names that follow are looser interests that I'll take as, when and if they come:-

Must say I wasn't blown away by Catfish & The Bottlemen (on tv, haven't seen them live); The Strokes did it all much better and with more conviction a decade ago. But they could still blast it out, so we'll see...

When I first stuck my name in the hat as a volunteer, back in early March (just spotted amongst my old Facebook post about it that I paid up in early May btw for shift allocation ref; when they'd just added Roni Size & Reprazent, Charlatans, Santigold & Matthew Herbert to the bill) I picked out these from the list available at the time:-
alt-J, Caribou, Femi Kuti, Lianne La Havas, Seasick Steve, Django Django, Public Service Broadcasting, Wolf Alice, Thurston Moore, SBTRKT, La Roux, Years & Years, Young Fathers & DJ EZ

There's a few others like Unknown Mortal Orchestra who I've heard of but need to check out. Need to remind myself whether I like Savages, King Creosote, Drenge (snap!), Toro Y Moi & Sun Kil Moon too; all familiar names from 6 Music though...

Plus George the Poet is one from the Sound of 2015 list that I liked, who was mentioned in one of the promo vids that I hadn't previously spotted in the line-up.

And finally of the most recent names to surface, Nitin Sawhney stood out. Plus Young Fathers (possible second performance) & East India Youth are two I've liked since the last Mercury Music Awards and they've recently been announced as being part of Ireland's Other Voices which Lat is hosting (not that either of them are Irish). Nor is Rozie Plain who if she's the right Rozi I heard on 6M yesterday then she might be worth catching @OV too. I'd noticed the add for her gig at the John Peel Centre for Creative Arts (Stowmarket, Suffolk) in Grapevine magazine, so my ears pricked when I heard a Rozi mentioned by either Steve Lamacq or Marc Riley Weds eve and I liked her voice.

There's bound to be others that have been added that I missed, names I'm familiar with but don't know their work, surprise unknowns etc etc, but as we've both said, I'll play it all by ear beyond Sat night...

Apologies for the massive post (I'm about to find out if that's postS plural if there's a size limit...); I get carried away when I start talking about my passions - music & footy.[:I]

ps. Oh and then there's the comedy...!

MadCyril posted this 15 June 2015

Alex my good man, that is the most info in a blog post i've ever read (and i work in IT lol). That genuinely tired me out!! Mind you i've only had a few hours kip so that may also be a factor.

Seriously thoug, it looks like you have much better knowledge than me of what's going down and that's pretty cool. Never apologise for getting carried away dude cos it's all good. Nothing wrong with a bit of enthusiasm.

4 weeks to go.... i guess i'll have to start thinking about checking the equipment in the loft!

Alex the Bearded Ginge posted this 15 June 2015

Yep, down to 4 weeks now, so less than a month.[:D] They're sorting the shift patterns out from today too...

My gear should be fine but I probably need to buy a spare gas bottle - I'm not sure how much we have left from our last camping hol but it always needs changing mid-hol.

That tiresome list: you can safely scrub Years & Years off it! I'd been touch and go about them since the first time I checked a few of their vids on YouTube; pleasant, delicate electro pop, quite feminine, need to be in the right mood for it. Final nail in the coffin was seeing them live on TFI Friday last weekend. Was kinda embarrassed and irritated enough to 'unlike' them on Facebook!

I had a look at potential clashes (& a thorough scan through the up-to-date full line-up from the Lat site http://www.latitudefestival.com/line-up ) after that long post. Shifts and forays into the other areas aside, as far as the main two music stages are concerned:
Tough call for headliners & main support on the Fri, but probably start with Obelisk then switch after Santigold to 6Music.
Opposite on Sat, switch from 6M to Ob after Charlatans.
Now I had to skip Seasick Steve as he clashed with [P] last time they were both at a fest I attended (back in 2007), so given there's a chance of catching Young Fathers on the OV stage, then skip them on the 6M and potentially stick at the Ob all Sun.

MadCyril posted this 19 June 2015

Bollocks - i'm scheduled to work the late shift on Saturday so missing Portishead and quite possibly Jose Gonzales. I think i may cry lol.

btw, it was Delta i've been assigned to which was my 12th choice.

Alex the Bearded Ginge posted this 19 June 2015

Ah that sucks man, I knew you'd said JG was one of the few you'd wanted to catch too (as well as giving [P] a try). Looks like you'll be missing more than just JG from your list too:
C&tB, Charlatans & Drenge possibly (depending on how early they start on that stage before a 5pm shift start).
But you do get the Manics & Noel on the Sunday after having the whole day off, though you won't be able to go silly on the beers as you'll have to work through the night shift straight after. Swings & roundabouts. At least you'll be seeing them for free.

I've got Charlie.

Which immediately meant I had to play this:

src="/forum/content/images/emoticons/facebook-tongue-out-emoticon.png" alt="" class="emoticon" />]

12th preference for me too, but you had to go down to my 21st pref before I missed [P].

So I'm a Cat working Thurs night/Fri morn, Sat daytime & Sun eve.

So no Manics or Noel G - or Seasick Steve/Young Fathers! No partying to Vinyl Frontier djs in the woods Thurs night either.

Ahh hang on, I'm Charlie, you're Delta, so looking at the roster that means you'll be my relief man taking over on the next shift all weekend! Boy, will I be glad to see your face each time!![]

picklelilley posted this 20 June 2015

Afternoon all :)

First time at latitude (though I've volunteered reading a few times in the past) and I'm coming alone - and unlike reading I don't even have non volunteering friends to hang out with so hopefully you'll all be lovely (or I'll be bored and lonely til the work/music starts :D).

I've been given my 9th choice of BRAVO 1 - anyone else on this shift?

See you soon!

MadCyril posted this 22 June 2015

Alex - i'm whole levels of gutted at missing P but more so JG. I'm trying to see if sany swaps are available, even if swapping just the Sat night (not sure about this though).

Picklelilley - not on the same shift but a first timer as well. Where are you travelling from? Any who do you most want to see?

EllieBW posted this 23 June 2015

Hey. Would you like to swap shifts with me? I'm on alpha 1. no problem if not.

quote:
Originally posted by MadCyril
Alex - i'm whole levels of gutted at missing P but more so JG. I'm trying to see if sany swaps are available, even if swapping just the Sat night (not sure about this though).

Picklelilley - not on the same shift but a first timer as well. Where are you travelling from? Any who do you most want to see?

EllieBW posted this 23 June 2015

Hey, would you like to swap shifts with me? im on alpha 1. no probs if not.

quote:
Originally posted by picklelilley
Afternoon all :)

First time at latitude (though I've volunteered reading a few times in the past) and I'm coming alone - and unlike reading I don't even have non volunteering friends to hang out with so hopefully you'll all be lovely (or I'll be bored and lonely til the work/music starts :D).

I've been given my 9th choice of BRAVO 1 - anyone else on this shift?

See you soon!

MadCyril posted this 23 June 2015

EllieBW - i would love to swap.... it would make my journey from the north of Scotland so much more enjoyable!

Is it a deal? I'll throw in two ciders and a box of Haribo ;)

Smamalam posted this 30 June 2015

Picklelilley! I'm Bravo 1 too. It's also my first time at Latitude, which is pretty ridiculous as up until 3 years ago I lived in suffolk. It isn't my first time stewarding at festivals though, if you count the smaller more obscure ones!

Also, hi everyone! Not long now! :D

Alex the Bearded Ginge posted this 30 June 2015

Hi Smamalam, yeah I'm in a similar position, locale-wise; grew up in Lowestoft (just up the A12/couple of train stops from Halesworth for non-locals) though that was long before Lat existed, but each year living in Norwich my mates would be going and I'd be thinking 'yeah one year I'll join them'. Nine Lats pass and finally for the tenth I've got my arse in gear ...but none of my mates can make it, so I'm a lonely volly! [:I]

I'm also a fan of the samller, obscure fests, though I haven't volunteered at any yet - possibly/probably next summer...[8D]

jamest54 posted this 30 June 2015

I got BRAVO 1 too. Quite happy with that though and should get to see everyone I wanna see [:D] First time at Latitude as well so i'm pretty excited to see what it's like compared to everywhere else!

carl posted this 01 July 2015

I'm in BRAVO 1 too, first time at Latitude and I'm also heading down on my own! I'm coming from Leeds on the Tuesday if anyone needs a lift? [:D]

mollyrosef posted this 03 July 2015

Hi all, I'm Molly from Surrey. Never even been to festival before let alone volunteered at one, but Latitude will be the first of four this summer, so very excited :D
Feeling very eager, so I'll be arriving on the Tuesday, though I'm in CHARLIE and my first shift isn't until Thursday night. Looking forward to seeing Laura Marling, as I've really loved her music for years and somehow always miss out on tour tickets!

Alex the Bearded Ginge posted this 04 July 2015

Hi Molly,
I'm also in Charlie - I think you're the first forum user besides me to mention you're on that shift pattern.[8D]
From zero festivals to four in a season; that's hitting the ground running and then some![:0]
It's a first for Latitude and a first for festival volunteering for me too.
I'm also arriving on the Tuesday stupidly early, so I'm glad I'm not the only one there! Game of cards whilst we wait...?![:I]

MadCyril posted this 06 July 2015

quote:
Originally posted by Alex the Bearded Ginge
Game of cards whilst we wait...?![:I]

Dude! I'll take the UNO and we can get smashed up on the Wednesday! I'm a competitive wee Scotsman though and take my UNO super seriously ;)

Cyril

Alex the Bearded Ginge posted this 06 July 2015

Haha it's on!!![}]

Be warned though, my missus is a huuuuuuge UNO fan, so I've learnt off the best, so you better be ready for a real ding-dong!

She's got the cards, this mad card-launching Attack version
...aaaaand I've just inherited her old mobile that has UNO downloaded as a game!

I'm gonna get her to do some coaching this week to get me up to match sharpness...[8]

MadCyril posted this 07 July 2015

That's taking UNO to a new level my friend.... perhaps i'll take my Harry Potter UNO just to be crazy as it includes a He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named card to spice things up!

Do you think other forum readers are wondering what the hell we are on about? lol.

One week to go :)

Stacey90 posted this 07 July 2015

Hi All, first time volunteering at Latitude my sister and I are part of the DELTA crew looking forward to meeting you all for some beers/cider!

MadCyril posted this 07 July 2015

Ginge - i think a wee UNO tourney would be good fun actually. Some beers, a bit of music.... could be a good laugh :)

Stayey - first time for me as well but i'm thinking this will be good fun!

Alex the Bearded Ginge posted this 08 July 2015

My missus is HP mad too, so I'm sure she has the HP UNO or maybe HP Top Trumps or something. Best bring yours though (and I'll have it on my phone as an up to 4p with/without AI players) as I'd be shot if I messed hers up/lost it etc plus we'd need hers for our camping hol the week after Lat.

Yeah we've been chatting on here for the last 5 weeks and they've actually flown by. The missus has picked up a spare gas bottle from the city centre at the weekend, so I should have plenty for Lat and then our camping hol, esp as I read in the info pack that the crew mess tent has hot water supplies for cuppas etc so I won't have to hit my gas so often. Gonna start getting the gear down from the loft and laying out the bits'n'bobs needed over the next few days before hitting the supermarket dried meal sachets & booze aisles...

Ina posted this 08 July 2015

Hi ya all, anyone got space in their car? I'm looking for a lift from London :)

picklelilley posted this 08 July 2015

Bit late in replying here!

Coming from London and quite looking forward to all the headliners really plus the manics, seasick Steve and wolf Alice :)

My shift pattern is pretty damn good actually- should see most of what I want :)

Trying to decide what day to come- because I don't know anyone the Tuesday doesn't seem quite so appealing...

And yay! Hello to my 3 fellow newbie team members :D

Glad I won't be the only one who doesn't have a clue where anything is!!

MadCyril posted this 08 July 2015

FAO Picketlilley and Ina

I'm getting the train up from Stratford on the Tuesday approx 4pm and back on the Monday - cost about £30 all in all, so if you have problems with getting a lift and you fancy some company on the journey, then just let me know and we could meet up if you like?

Andy

Lex posted this 08 July 2015

Hi all :) my first time at Lat too (although I've worked lots of festivals before, I do it for a living!) and I'm also travelling alone. I'm in the Tower Cats team - anyone else?

Looking forward to it all but seriously need to get a bit more organised!

Thanks Andy but I'm Going to drive (I'll pr regret it once I'm stuck in traffic).

I actually need to pack tomorrow as I'm not home now before Tuesday!! I feel so unorganised. I hope my tent is still in working order!

EllieBW posted this 08 July 2015

Hey! Getting the train from Stratford London or Stratford upon Avon?

quote:
Originally posted by Lex
Hi all :) my first time at Lat too (although I've worked lots of festivals before, I do it for a living!) and I'm also travelling alone. I'm in the Tower Cats team - anyone else?

Ellie - Stratford, London. Train is at 16.09 so should be onsite before 8pm :)

quote:
Originally posted by EllieBW
Hey! Getting the train from Stratford London or Stratford upon Avon?

quote:
Originally posted by Lex

Good stuff picketlilley - I'm sure the tent will be fine! Hopefully meet you there at some point!

Andy

quote:
Thanks Andy but I'm Going to drive (I'll pr regret it once I'm stuck in traffic).

I actually need to pack tomorrow as I'm not home now before Tuesday!! I feel so unorganised. I hope my tent is still in working order!

Alex the Bearded Ginge posted this 09 July 2015

quote:
Haha it's on!!![}]

Be warned though, my missus is a huuuuuuge UNO fan, so I've learnt off the best, so you better be ready for a real ding-dong!

She's got the cards, this mad card-launching Attack version
...aaaaand I've just inherited her old mobile that has UNO downloaded as a game!

I'm gonna get her to do some coaching this week to get me up to match sharpness...[8]

&
quote:
My missus is HP mad too, so I'm sure she has the HP UNO or maybe HP Top Trumps or something.

Yep, checked her games draw when compiling my gear this evening: standard, classic UNO deck, HP UNO & it was UNO Extreme card-launcher up in the loft, not Attack (but probably basically the same - same design as in pic even if rules vary). Also found and grabbed Monopoly card game which I'm not sure we've ever played! Also packed the Commonwealth Top Trumps. And a tennis ball. And a dog's frisbee![]

ps. Cyril, you're replying to pickLElilly not pickETlilly - she's a food stuff not a striking campaigner!![]

MadCyril posted this 09 July 2015

Aye, well spotted. Glad someone picked me up on my obviously deliberate mistake ;)

Are we actually gonna have any time for our shifts with all these card games on the go???

picklelilley posted this 09 July 2015

Well I didn't notice - but my phone is seriously cracked so I'm used to just making up the words I read.

I think if you don't see any music you two should fit in your shifts and games ;)

MadCyril posted this 10 July 2015

Are you driving up on the Tuesday on your own Picklelilley? (See, got it right that time Alex!)

If so, I'll happily skip the train for a lift if you want company and to split petrol cost? I fly into Heathrow about 1.30pm and was gonna get the train just after 4 from Stratford.

The offer is there if you want :)

quote:
Well I didn't notice - but my phone is seriously cracked so I'm used to just making up the words I read.

I think if you don't see any music you two should fit in your shifts and games ;)

Spamson posted this 10 July 2015

Hi all,

I feel like I'm late to the party! I just finished exams today so can finally get excited about Latitude [:D]

Like a few others I'm coming on my own and this will be my first Latitude.

I'm in CHARLIE so I'm sure I'll bump into you Alex the Bearded Ginge and Molly[:)]

I will probably be travelling up from London on Wednesday morning probably via train. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Alex the Bearded Ginge posted this 11 July 2015

Hi Spamson, congrats on finishing off your exams - what a weight lifted, I bet - the summer starts NOW!!! There'll be a can of Somersby cider ready and waiting for you to pitch up and celebrate! Molly too for a Charlie Party! Did the food & booze shopping tonight - gin-ners for winners!![8D]

picklelilley posted this 11 July 2015

Only just worked out the quote button!

Yes I'm travelling alone unless anyone takes me up on lift sharing! Happy to have company, the tube journey is about the same to me instead of Stratford (although I'm not sure about train vs car travel time) so it's up to you :)

I'm going from close to Blackhorse road station.

And hi spamston! I'm glad there's lots of solos going, should be fun to meet up with everyone!

quote:
Are you driving up on the Tuesday on your own Picklelilley? (See, got it right that time Alex!)

If so, I'll happily skip the train for a lift if you want company and to split petrol cost? I fly into Heathrow about 1.30pm and was gonna get the train just after 4 from Stratford.

quote:

MadCyril posted this 11 July 2015

Picklelilley - I just check d it out and yes, it would be easy enough to get there. I would happily take the lift and pay for petrol etc. also, it means I would be able to pick up booze etc as I was a bit unsure where I could get any - it's the one thing I hadn't figured out yet!

I think I could be over there for about half 3 on Tuesday if you are up for it?

quote:
Only just worked out the quote button!

Yes I'm travelling alone unless anyone takes me up on lift sharing! Happy to have company, the tube journey is about the same to me instead of Stratford (although I'm not sure about train vs car travel time) so it's up to you :)

I'm going from close to Blackhorse road station.

And hi spamston! I'm glad there's lots of solos going, should be fun to meet up with everyone!

quote:

quote:

picklelilley posted this 11 July 2015

Works for me :)

We can do a booze stop near the festival if you like - then it will be cold for at least one night :D

I assume you're on facebook? Might be easier to plan on there...

This is me: https://www.facebook.com/vicky.lilley

[quote]Originally posted by MadCyril
Picklelilley - I just check d it out and yes, it would be easy enough to get there. I would happily take the lift and pay for petrol etc. also, it means I would be able to pick up booze etc as I was a bit unsure where I could get any - it's the one thing I hadn't figured out yet!

Amy1991 posted this 11 July 2015

Hi All

Anyone in foxtrot cat 1?? first time volunteering at a festival also going solo.

belle3005 posted this 11 July 2015

Hello Stacey,

It's also my first time volunteering at Latitude (also my first music festival!) and I'm also on the DELTA crew, would be nice to get to know each other and have some drinks. :) I'll be arriving late evening around 21.40ish on Tuesday.

quote:
Originally posted by Stacey90
Hi All, first time volunteering at Latitude my sister and I are part of the DELTA crew looking forward to meeting you all for some beers/cider!

MadCyril posted this 11 July 2015

Aw, that sounds perfect. Yeah, I'm on FB so I'll go add you just now :)

Andy

quote:
Works for me :)

We can do a booze stop near the festival if you like - then it will be cold for at least one night :D

I assume you're on facebook? Might be easier to plan on there...

This is me: https://www.facebook.com/vicky.lilley

[quote]Originally posted by MadCyril

paul89 posted this 12 July 2015

Bit late with this one!

I'm in DELTA group with my friend!

We're getting down there around Tuesday afternoon/evening.

Anyone wants to chat beforehand (even though it's just 2 days away), get me on

www.facebook.com/DoubleTroubleBarneyRubble

Lex posted this 13 July 2015

Glad there's so many of us first timers! :) I'll arrive Tuesday night, although don't have a shift until Friday... doh!

picklelilley posted this 13 July 2015

i think Tuesday is a good arrival day - more holiday time!

mollyrosef posted this 14 July 2015

Almost ready to make my way there! Very exciting :) Should arrive sometime around 3/4pm, hoping some kind soul will give me a hand pitching the tent as I've only done a couple of practice runs and haven't tackled tent pegs etc yet.
Can't wait to get set up and meet everyone!!

picklelilley posted this 14 July 2015

You'll be a tent master by the end. I've lost count of how many tents I've put up and taken down over the years! Although I generally don't bother too much about tent pegs :D

All set up but feeling a bit lost surrounded by groups!

Any other solitary folk around to say hi to?

AftonMills posted this 15 July 2015

Hope you managed to mingle with the groups a bit tonight! I can imagine it being a bit daunting. The rest of us will be along tomorrow don't worry :) I'm coming alone too!

Lex posted this 15 July 2015

Molly, I'll be around in a couple hours, let's hang! :)

And me! :)

EllieBW posted this 15 July 2015

Me too!

EllieBW posted this 15 July 2015

Do lone campers want to chill tonight? Also im going to be late (already am late) is that ok?

I have zero 3G signal - I've just had to pop to Asda in Lowestoft to get duct tape!! But up for meeting up somewhere/somehow. Not sure I'll be able to get back on here but if you fancy it drop me a text - 07595662361 :) (I'm a girl btw haha) x

YouTube Twitter facebook Instagram
Close
Close