leeds fest 2012

• 5.6K Views
  • Last Post 20 April 2012
BeckyP posted this 20 April 2012

Hi i'm doing leeds fest this year and volunteering on my own, just wondered if anyone else is also doing it? [:)]

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
BeckyP posted this 23 April 2012

thank you :)

noodle_1987 posted this 24 April 2012

Hi, my names Fran and i'm gunna be volunteering at leeds this year most likely on my own too :)

TomTom posted this 01 May 2012

On my own aswell I believe. Really looking forward to it

TomMack posted this 03 May 2012

Yes hopefully it will be great. Not sure what the night shifts are going to be like though, i get grumpy in the early hours >:D

steatk posted this 16 May 2012

I might be going on my own, but trying to convince my cousin to sign up as well :-)
1st time volunteering but have been to the festival many times before

Also thinking of volunteering at Latitude, but will be on my own and 1st time going there. Need to hurry up and make my mind up. lol

jojo posted this 16 May 2012

Night shifts are alright at Leeds if you're in the busier campsites because there are some really drunk people to entertain you until about 6am when they finally fall down somewhere and go to sleep. But you do get pretty sleepy between 6 and 8. Then at 8 you realise it's only an hour until bed time and you perk up and some people start getting up again to try and beat the shower queues.

So as long as you have good clothing to keep you warm and dry you'll be fine!

Amymeister posted this 17 May 2012

Sweets are the answer to a night shift. Lots and lots of sweets. Buzz your way through till 9am :-)

BeckyP posted this 21 May 2012

hey it's good to know i won't be the only one turning up on my own :) I'm getting excited already let's hope the weather stays nice this year, was anyone there last year?

jojo posted this 21 May 2012

i was there last year, surprised i'm not still stuck in the mud on blue hill tbh!

Abby93 posted this 24 May 2012

Hi I'm also volunteering on my own, was feeling nervous before I saw that there is quite a lot of people doing this. :)

Jeremy_Smith_ posted this 16 June 2012

Can anyone who's volunteered before say what the staff toilets / showers are like that us volunteers get to use? I've been to Leeds festival before just in the normal camping part and I'm hoping that they're considerably better than there (they can't be any worse)! Thanks :)

Mark posted this 16 June 2012

Far better. Last year the staff toilets at Leeds Festival were a new type, bigger and they actually flushed!

The showers are good too, generally clean and hot.

jojo posted this 18 June 2012

the toilets last year were a bit too good, every time i went they seemed to be getting cleaned so i had to wait!

Amymeister posted this 18 June 2012

In general, the camping and toilet/shower facilities for staff are a million times better than punter camping! Even at their worst! I have to admit, after 6+ years working at Leeds festival, I feel quite spoiled and I doubt I'll ever go to Leeds as a punter again!

BeckyP posted this 18 June 2012

im so glad people have replied to this thread? what day do we go down is it tuesday or wednesday? im quite nervous when it comes to meeting new people but i presume alot of people are in the same boat? i have a couple of questions... my dad is dropping me off is there a special place to get dropped off? as i wont have an official ticket, do we leave sunday or monday? and where abouts is the staff camping area relative to the arena? thanks :D

Mark posted this 18 June 2012

You're welcome to arrive at Leeds Festival from midday on the Tuesday, you need to be onsite by 16:00 on the Wednesday at the latest. Once the Leeds shifts are in PAAM if you choose to work a Wednesday shift you may need to arrive on the Tuesday.

You can either get dropped off at Yellow or Blue gate. All the info will be in the info pack which you'll be able to download via Hotbox Events PAAM a few weeks before the festival.

You don't need to leave until the Monday. You may have a shift on the Monday, the latest you'll be working on the Monday is 16:00.

Leeds staff camping isn't far from the arena - about a 5 minute walk. Sort of behind and to the right of the main stage.

W8oj posted this 24 July 2012

Hi, I am also volunteering by myself this year after my friend changed his plans. Was hoping to get to know some people in a similar situation before I get down :)

BRONTE posted this 24 July 2012

Hi guys, we have so many people coming on their own.
Over the past 6 years i have worked here i am still amazed at how friendly our groups are.
You will not be alone for long. X

See you all there! :D

BeckyP posted this 26 July 2012

heyy have people looked at the shift slots that are available? i put alpha 1 as my first choice did anyone else? i cant believe its next month! :)

Alli734 posted this 26 July 2012

Alright guys, i'm coming on my own from Leicestershire, I live 5 minutes off the M1, so if anyone coming from down south has a spare seat in there car, it would be very much appreciated??? I would chip in for petrol, plus a few beers to sweeten the deal...

noodle_1987 posted this 27 July 2012

just choose my shifts, put down delta as my first choice. any one else wanting to do delta? looking forwards to going but bit nervous of being on my own.

Jenniely posted this 28 July 2012

Don't worry about going on your own, everyone is really friendly, I look forward to meeting you all! Jenn Faughnan is my facebook so you know a friendly face :)

chrisr21 posted this 28 July 2012

I also put Delta down as my first choice. Really don't want to be in either Bravo cos I desperately want to see Foo Fighters on Friday night!

I'm also volunteering on my own, so would be great to meet some friendly people

Jeremy_Smith_ posted this 29 July 2012

\"heyy have people looked at the shift slots that are available? i put alpha 1 as my first choice did anyone else? i cant believe its next month! :)\"

I put alpha 1 down as my first choice too Becky :)I'm also going on my own too :) I really want to see The Vaccines so massively hoping that I don't get Charlie...

LizzyT posted this 31 July 2012

quote:
Originally posted by Alli734
Alright guys, i'm coming on my own from Leicestershire, I live 5 minutes off the M1, so if anyone coming from down south has a spare seat in there car, it would be very much appreciated??? I would chip in for petrol, plus a few beers to sweeten the deal...

Hi, I live in Leicester and am going to Leeds all on my own at the moment! let me know if you still need a lift my email is

steatk posted this 31 July 2012

Well, my shifts have been allocated in PAAM. and I'm on ECHO.

I'll be travelling down on my own from the Middlesbrough area on the Weds early afternoon and coming home after my Monday Early shift.
So if anybody else up this way needs a lift (there, back or both) send me a message.
Cheers.

noodle_1987 posted this 31 July 2012

anyone else got bravo 1 for shift allocation??? pretty happy with that cant wait now :)

LizzyT posted this 01 August 2012

I got Delta! Whoop Whoop, although that Monday morning night shift is going to be killer!!

scare posted this 01 August 2012

I'm in Charlie :) excited now

Jeremy_Smith_ posted this 01 August 2012

I got Bravo 1 too :) I'm happy as I really wanted the Saturday night off.

bryonyyy posted this 01 August 2012

Hey, i'm going on my own too and got Alpha 2 for my shifts :) pretty nervous but so so excited!

Dermo posted this 01 August 2012

Hey everyone!
I got Delta as well. I've done the Sunday night shift a couple of times, and I have to tell you that the worst part of working it last year was the boredom! Thankfully the Sunday night is nothing like it used to be and everyone can enjoy themselves.

To anyone going on their own, I went on my own the first few years, it's a great experience and you'll love it. If you're up for a beer at any stage during the week just find the Irish guy :)

BeckyP posted this 01 August 2012

quote:
Originally posted by JeremySmith
I got Bravo 1 too :) I'm happy as I really wanted the Saturday night off.

hey i got bravo 1 too! :) what day are you arriving?

Jeremy_Smith_ posted this 03 August 2012

Cool :) I'm not sure, possibly early on the Wednesday, how about you? The first shift being a 1am start could be interesting!

chrisr21 posted this 04 August 2012

Echo for me. Happy with that cos I can see Foo Fighters on Friday night, and I'm not too fussed about the Saturday line up, so don't mind working that night.

BeckyP posted this 05 August 2012

yee either late tuesday or early wednesday haha i know im gonna be catching up with my sleep all weekend should be cool though :)

Jo Shields posted this 05 August 2012

Its nice to see you are all excited for Leeds, looking forward to meeting up with you all.

Alli734 posted this 08 August 2012

I got the Bravo 1 shift, so looks like I may miss the Gaslight Anthem, who were the main band I wanted to see.. But other than that pretty chuffed with my shifts, and I'm proper looking forward to it..

Jenniely posted this 08 August 2012

I'm in Charlie : )

TomTom posted this 09 August 2012

ECHO for me. 14 days in nothing! :-)

chrisr21 posted this 10 August 2012

When are people planning on getting to Leeds fest? I'm in Echo, so first shift isn't until 1am on Friday, so dunno whether to go Tuesday or Wednesday.

ears_101 posted this 10 August 2012

I am also in echo, I'm planning to get there on the tuesday as I am going on my own so will try and find some friends!

chrisr21 posted this 10 August 2012

quote:
Originally posted by ears_101
I am also in echo, I'm planning to get there on the tuesday as I am going on my own so will try and find some friends!

I'm in exactly the same boat mate! That was my main thinking over my preference of going on Tuesday

TomTom posted this 11 August 2012

quote:
Originally posted by chrisr21
quote:
Originally posted by ears_101

I'm in exactly the same boat mate! That was my main thinking over my preference of going on Tuesday

exactly the same boat! Will head up wednesday morning as working late the tuesday. Look forward to meeting you guys.

scotty93 posted this 11 August 2012

A bunch of about 6 of us are volunteering for Leeds in less than a fortnights time, and after filling in the shift grid, putting alpha 1 and 2 as our most preferred options we've sadly been assigned Delta instead. A little bit irritating but at the same time comforting because it could have been a lot worse, i.e. bravo. Dreading the sunday night shift, working all night long whilst everyone is enjoying the last night of the weekend, how unfortunate.

geo1608 posted this 11 August 2012

sunday nights are always fun

BeckyP posted this 12 August 2012

im also going on my own so if you guys are all heading up tuesday i might join so i can meet you all :)

alpha_zou posted this 13 August 2012

Hello guys,

I am volunteering at Leeds and thinking about driving there on Mon, 21 Aug from Inverurie, Aberdeenshire. But I came here from China a very short time ago and I'm not quite used to driving in UK yet. So I'm offering a lift here and see if anyone local would like to come with me, which would definitely make the trip easier for me.

I have 3 empty seats (or 4, maybe a little crowded) and an empty trunk. Anyone in Inverurie or nearby who would like to join me please leave a message or contact alpha_zou@hotmail.com. I'm in the Beer Handling Team and must arrive before 16:00 so i'm planning to start in the early morning.

If nobody would come along i may just take the train or bus. Hope to hear from you. Cheers!

chrisr21 posted this 16 August 2012

I've never been to a festival before, going here working on my own. Just wondering what the situation is regarding food?
How do people generally go about cooking, as from what I gather, cooking with gas is not allowed. And are there facilities on site to get hot water, like kettles!?

Also, I don't have a backpack to put stuff in. Will I look stupid bringing a small suitcase, or do many people do this?

jojo posted this 16 August 2012

Unless it's changed from last year then gas is still allowed in the staff area at leeds

mwisby posted this 16 August 2012

I do believe there is a blanket ban on gas [at Reading]

Amymeister posted this 17 August 2012

At Leeds the OFFICIAL stance is there is no gas allowed on site. But, staff have always been allowed gas in the staff compound as the chances of us all going mad and chucking our empty canisters on fires made of tents and chairs are pretty slim!

jojo posted this 17 August 2012

we must look more trustworthy than those reading rapscallions!

BeeHee posted this 17 August 2012

First time at Leeds this year, going on my own but can't wait, soooooo excited now. I got the Alpha shift I had hoped for, looking forward to meeting lots of new people[:D]

BeckyP posted this 17 August 2012

its soo soon! ive put my tent up tonight (just to see if i can actually do it) im heading up tuesday afternoon :)

BeeHee posted this 17 August 2012

Same! I put mine up last week, not difficult but I think I could do with a hand.We'll all be tent-masters by the end of this!

Jo Shields posted this 17 August 2012

Gas canisters are allowed in the crew camping areas only and not on the public sites, so you will be fine to bring your small gas camping stoves.

tom_stent posted this 18 August 2012

How far is the staff car park from the HBE campsite?
Ta

Alli734 posted this 18 August 2012

This is a massive long shot, but is anyone interested in swapping my Bravo 1 shift for your Delta 1 shift? Worth a try haha...

BeckyP posted this 19 August 2012

just to clarify is there a separate entrance for staff to get into the campsite?, im getting dropped off by car (not parking)and is there a separate entrance where we get signed up etc? ill be arriving tuesday at like 5ish if anyones going to be there? :)

Spelokid posted this 19 August 2012

The staff car park is less than 5 min from the HBE Compound.
Yes there is a separate entrance if you get dropped off at Blue gate there should be a cat based there to call for a minibus to take you to the HBE Compound, if not there is a contact number on the first page of the info pack. You will be signed in once your at the compound. all gates are manned 24hours a day so there will always be someone to help you.

Alice H posted this 20 August 2012

I'm on my own too! dead excited for tomorrow, cya there!

BeckyP posted this 21 August 2012

thank you so much @spelokid for the info :) im half packed now will be on my way tomorrow, yee im on my own too so will just randomly pitch up somewhere :) looking forward to meeting people!

BeckyP posted this 21 August 2012

also this is my last question! i dont have a parking permit as im literally getting dropped off onsite will i still be able to get dropped off in the staff area?

Spelokid posted this 21 August 2012

If you speak nicely to the traffic guys they might let you drop off in the staff carpark but they have been strict onsite this year so may only be dropped off at the gate. I have always worked on my own this is my 5 year you will meet loads of people. if your working on orange or orange funfair you will work me on yournight shift :-)

YouTube Twitter facebook Instagram
Close
Close